Downtown Main Street
Note: Cindy Higgins compiled the following information. In 2012, the city installed 13 bronze signs on Eudora's downtown buildings with funding from the Douglas County Heritage Conservation Council. Ben Terwilliger, a University of Kansas graduate student working for the city of Eudora, prepared the signage contents. Also in 2012, Dale Nimz and Susan Ford inventoried some historic structures downtown with others in Eudora Township through a grant from Douglas County Heritage Conservation Council.
North of Burlington Northern-Santa Fe railroad tracks: C.J. Achning Grocery, (1870-?) shown to left also may have been the two-story frame building here on lots 3, 18, and 19 in Block 143 used as a bakery by the Spietz family before 1900 and a dwelling by the John Everley family and Olive Strachen in early 1900s.
The Schleifer restaurant and grocery (1860s-1892) also was north of the railroad tracks on Main Street. Louis Moll ran a bakery and confectionery in the former Schleifer building from 1893 to 1895.
530: Presently owned by Richard and Janet Campbell for use as crop storage and Hi-Tech Antifreeze Recycling, this property, which was built closer to Elm Street than Main Street, was the Eudora Feed and Grain (also known as Farmers Elevator, Farmers Union Co-op, and Farmers Co-op Elevator) from 1918 to 2003 with the Eudora Mills, formerly known as Jewett Milling Company and Eudora Milling Company, built in 1886, directly east. Earlier, a different building housed Oscar Bradford’s warehouse (1908-), Phenicie grocery (1894-1901) (although another report says Ras Phenicie, who died in Indiana in 1916, left Eudora in 1896), and Gufler House (grocery and bar) (1860s-1892). When this house with a store in front was razed, its lumber joined with “old style, cut nails” was said to be in “perfect preservation” by a 1937 The Eudora Weekly News article. Farmers Elevator used its wood to build its coal sheds and a warehouse.
Southeast corner/Seventh Street and Main Street: Built in 1860, Eudora’s first school was here until 1866, when it became City Hall. The present building was built in 1956. A stone building was next to “city hall” in 1889, according to a new item.
12 E. 7th, between Elm Street and Main Street on Seventh Street: Now an extenstion of Eudora City Hall, the [Jim Rawte’s] Blacktop Construction and Paving (1995- 2005?) and [Jim Reese’s] Eudora Auto Trim (1974-1994), 30-by-40-foot metal building, stands here on the site of several past businesses. The 30-by-40-foot metal building at Seventh Street next to Eudora City Hall was built in 1974 to house Eudora Auto Trim upholstering business owned by John Reese. For example, the building that burned in 1966 once was Cue and Paddle Club, Southern Baptist Church, Dr. Leo Lauber’s office and laundromat, office of chiropractors Dr. Swift and Dr. Snyder, a first grade classroom, Eudora Cash Hardware (1945-1947), and Victory Theater (1943-1953). William Trefz, Jr. had a tinshop in this location that was bought by P.O. Beem, Phillipsburg, in 1911 who also bought E. C. Whitten’s hardware store the same year and operated them about a year before selling to George Vaile or Vale, from Fall Leaf. Before Beem and Trefz was Robert Gabriel, Gus Fiehler, and Carl Durr and Berthhold Durr, his brother, who bought John Brender’s hardware store in 1895; by 1897, the Durr brothers were running the implement and hardware operation. John and F. L. Brender tore down an old, earlier building in 1892 and put up a new one for blacksmith work and hardware sales. Herman White, a tinsmith, worked with the Brenders until 1894. C. L. Fuller, Topeka, bought the business in 1912, unaware that the other hardware dealer in town had the same last name. Fuller sold mostly implements at his Eudora Hardware Company and had a large warehouse on the northeast part of the building with an Elm Street entrance for tractors. Son Clarence operated the business until 1939 when Keith Starr bought and ran it before it became the Victory Theater.
Hubert (“Funny”) Woodard opened a garage in the room east of C.L. Fuller’s hardware store in 1929. Elmer Ziegler Garage (1935-1937) operated closer to Elm Street on the north side of Seventh Street, too. It was housed adjacent to the former Zimmerman blacksmith and hardware shop. Jack Hawkins and Bert Hawkins had a garage here in 1945, which was taken over Dan Davis (1946-1947). Harold Morley built a garage in 1955 and sold it in 1976. The Eudora City Council voted in 2005 to buy the buildings at this site.
700: BLK 145 LT 1 [includes 700 and 702] Charles Lothholz put a foundation in on this site in early 1896 for his bank, but didn’t start constructing his impressive red pressed brick building with buff colored water table midway until 18 months later. Built for the Kaw Valley State Bank, which operated in the north part of the first floor, and a general store in the south and a basement barber shop, this 100,000 brick building (with water initially channeled by compressed air) now encompasses the corner section, a unit to the east, two to the south (701 1/2, 702), and a private residence upstairs that was originally the Lothholz Opera House (also known as Lothholz Hall that operated until the 1930s). The opera hall, lit with acetylene gas lights as the rest of the building, had an 8-foot by 30-foot stage with 300 seating capacity. Its motto was Protum Transimus Oceanus Prae Nos Patet (“We have crossed the bay, the ocean lies before us.”) Later, the space housed professional offices, for example, those of J.G. Lee, physician, and J. H. Duffy, dentist, in 1915 and dentist L.C. Cox in 1925, and even classrooms in 1918 when the new high school didn’t open on time. Before the bank was built, an “unsightly” frame building that extended into the alley here housed the Eudora Elevator Company office (1892), John Hagenbuch notary public service, (1892-?), and Schubert furniture store (1881 to around 1890) and earlier, Christian Fischer operated a tin shop and furniture store here a few years until 1881. Slightly east was Schubert and Meineke Coal Company, and, in 1889, Kraus & Abels bought the coal business of P.D. Meineke after his death. In recent years, the former bank area has housed the law office of Amy Durkin (2009- ); Madame Hatter's Tea Room (opened in 2002 by Thomas and Lauren Smith and bought Nov. 1, 2004, by Bonnie Freeland, Shawnee, and Susan Orscheln, Lenexa; closed 2009); Westminister Tea Room (Oct. 2001- 2002); Traditions furniture store (1999-2002); three video stores [the first one opened by a Linwood couple, then Darren and DeAnn Howell and Wrights, and, in 1997, Terri and Roger Rose) video rental and arcade (circa1996-1998); dental clinic; Community Baptist Church; [Delmar Alpers'] The Key restaurant (1970s); and [Keith Murphy’s] Gilded Cage tavern (1961-1966) later moved, to eastern outskirts of Tenth Street to former slot car manufactory, etc. The basement housed other businesses such as Fred Ziesenis, Jr. shoe shop (1942-1946), Groves Café (1918-1919), George Fullers’ pool hall and barber shop (circa 1908), and Tarleton & Smith billiard hall (circa 1903). Northeast section of 700: Currently not used as a store area, it used to house Diana Breithaupt beauty salon (1990-1996), ice cream parlor (circa 1980s), [Helen Everley’s] antique store (1980s), and a grocery (early 1900s). 700 1/2: Entrance to residence. 702/704: This area has been used by Indie Olive (stationary press) (2014- ); Curves, a fitness franchise that focuses on 30 minute workouts (October 2006-2009); HomeTown Dollar general store (owner Genny Rose, 2004-2005); Custom Frame Cart framing service (2003); Broers flower shop (1983-2001); Starlight Tavern (1970s); post office (1920s-1962); confectionary (circa 1912); Joseph Schopper’s shooting gallery “first door south of Kaw Valley bank” (1911); and E.L. Cooper watchmaking ship (circa 1909 as seen in this photograph). Others in this building but exact location unknown, include: Elmer Everely’s barber shop (1928-1941), George Wolf’s dentist office (1940-1950), Bernice Wilson beauty shop (1941-1951), Frank Martin’s restaurant (1950-1952), Clarence Williams’ watch repair and jewelry shop (1950s), Fern Reusch’s Mimi’s Fabric Ship (1967-1969), and Kenneth and Sharon Lawson beauty shop (1977-1978).
706: BLK 145 LT 2 The Hammert Building has housed[Mary Kirkendoll] Yoga Center (2015- ); Pennie Annie's Sweet Shop (2011-2013); Family Memories, a scrapbook supply store, owned by Barb Burkart and her mother, Sandi Roberts (2004); and previously Judy’s Gifts (1999-2001), Salvage Outlet (1990s); donut store (1980s); Robert Hilt cabinet shop (opened in 1975); Gra-Mor Cabinet Shop (1972-1974) owned by Lester Grazier; [Aileen Wallace] The Wardrobe clothing store (1968-1969);[Pat Eisenbarger] Pat’s Dress Shop; (1967-1968); [Elva Ruth O’Berg’s] Eudora Fabric Store (1965-1967 who bought from Mrs. John Reusch who operated it in 1963 directly across the street where the store was until 1965; the O’Bergs bought their building in 1963 from Ernest Papenhausen and John Cairns and their wives); [William] Ziesenis Confectionery (1909-1950) (Ziesenis bought the building in 1916 and C. B. Johnson had a medical office over the store in the 1920s); post office (1909); James Milburn and Will “Hoppy” Ziesenis confectionary (1908-1909); Mote Jamison confectionary (1906-1908); J. Milt “Smike’s” Tarleton confectionery and cigar stand (1893-1906) [note: these two confectionaries were said to be two doors south of Kaw Valley Bank]; and Bernhard W. Hammert drugs, cigar, tobacco, and stationery. Hammert, the husband of the Marfilius’ adopted daughter, Anna Christina, sold his drug store contents to Homer White in October 1893. This building was built before 1873, probably by Casper Marfilius. His wife, Maggie, who married John Hammert after Casper’s death, in 1875 operated a saloon here with a possible 704 address. There was a well in basement to chill the beverages. One account says she ran the saloon until 1897, which makes the operation concurrent with Hammert’s. 706 1/2: Entrance to private residence. In 1922, a newspaper mention said Grant Edelbrock lived between “Billy Ziesenis restaurant and Home Bakery.” A fire gutted the building November 26, 1977. It also was the last storefront on Main Street to have a wooden canopy, which was removed in the 1950s.
Retaining wall: No record or mention of a building at this site.
708: The razed three-story “White Building” that used to contain James Lenahan real estate and insurance (1956-1958; Ernest Weixeldorfer television and repair (1951-1957); Don Joslin television and radio repair (1948-1951); Elmer Everley’s barber shop (1926-1929); [J.G. Hofacker’s] Home Bakery (1923-1924); [Bill Willey’s] Home Bakery (1923-1923); and Bett’s Blue Ribbon bakery, also known as the Home Bakery (1909-1923); and probably Homer White pharmacy (1893-1903) before moving to 711 Main. Homer was the son of David White, who had a pharmacy here (1880-1893). The upstairs did serve as offices from time to time. For example, Dr. Butel had his offices there in 1911. [Note: T. L. Haelsig had a shop around here in 1890, because it was located three doors south of Kraus and Abel; however, that company was located near the east alley and not really on Main Street. A May 22, 1969 Eudora Enterprise article said it also contained a tavern at one time and was an eyesore and taxes hadn’t been paid on it since 1957; interior photographs showed debris and severe damage from vandals and non-repair.
710: BLK 145 S 1/2 LT 3 (DIV 2000 E02277A) Fred Rothberger built a 75-foot building here in 1926 for a Chevrolet automobile agency auto parts storage; and later extended it to alley Since then, the building has been used by Eudora Relics (antiques) (2001- ), [Leland and Jane] Massey’s Flea Market (1999- 2001), Coast to Coast Hardware (1945-1998), and William Schopper drycleaner (1934-1935).
714: BLK 145 LT 4(DIV 2000 E02277A) The 1873 Atlas of Douglas County shows Asher Cohn with a building on Lot 4, and abstracts show he sold the property to Aaron Hill in 1882. Cohn had a department store from at least 1860s (maybe even 1854) to 1880. The Cohn family lived on the third floor and moved to Lawrence around 1900. Aaron L. Hill, a Quaker born in Guilford County, North Carolina, established the Gardner, Hill, & Company general merchandise store on this site with P. Gardner and W. Davis on January 1, 1880. Gardner, Hill, and Company (1880-1909) housed groceries to the left and dry goods on the right with Mr. Mitchell selling coal back of the building circa 1890. Eudora Cash Shoe Store moved into the store in 1892. Miss Specks dressmaking service (1892-?), Tena Smith’s dressmaking parlor around 1900, The Eudora News (1910-1920), and Mattie Keroher’s millinery (1911) operated upstairs. Alice Ogle also had a shop upstairs; she made dresses there in the 1880s. The store changed owners three times in five months after it was bought by W.W. Arnold of Kansas City in 1909, then H. M. Kemper, and, a few months later, C. B. Mason, who named it the Eudora Department Store (1909-1911). A look back from the present shows: [LaDonna Russell] Stable System Solutions (computer installation and repair); Broers Broers Flowers (2001- 2006), [Leland and Jane] Masseys’ Main Street Flea Market (1998-1999); Coast to Coast hardware operated from this building and the connecting 710 Main building (1977-1990s), [Gary and Betty Vermillion] Market Basket Grocery (1972-1977), Merlin’s Eisenbarger’s Hy-Klas Grocery (1968-1972), [Glen Wilson, Joe Hargrave, Howard Wilson, and Jack Howard owned this grocery in changing partnerships with each other during 20-year span] Hy-Klas grocery (1946-1968) (also known as Clover Farm Store in 1948 when groceries were still part of the Eudora Department Store); J.D. Kuhn Department store and the Eudora Department Store owned by Carl Lotz and George Schubert (October 11, 1911-1949) with J.D. Kuhn, a founding partner, also.
720: BLK 145 LT 5 J. A. Seybold owned this site and built a stone building on the north that connects to brick building on the south in 1883. Seybold Hardware (1870s-1887) was bought by W. A. Fuller in 1888, which Fuller operated there a few years before (see here in the photograph) moving to the southwest corner of Eighth Street and Main Street. John Schubert used the building from 1892 to 1897. The post office took over Schubert’s space and was mentioned being here in 1916. The Warsop livery barn was said to in the north part in early 1900s. William Trefz Jr. tin shop (until 1925) then Herman Trefz Plumbing, Heating, and Electric (1925-1962), and later [Fred] Trefz Plumbing (until the 1990s) also occupied the building, which used for storage after that time. The upstairs probably was used for offices and apartments, for example, Dr. C. B. Miller and Dr. Mary Miller had an office upstairs in 1923. In 2015, the Eudora Community Museum opened here.
724: BLK 145 N 20 FT LT 6 This brick 20-foot by 60-foot, one story building with a metal roof, was erected in 1915. It replaced an earlier building known as the Epple Building in which J.W. Caldwell (and son as of 1888) had the City Barber Shop (1880-1895) and employed Charles Arndorf before the Caldwells moved to Kansas City to open a barber shop there. Solon Ellis (1895-early 1900s.) also had a barber shop in this former building. When the Trefz Variety Store (1915-1976) closed, the building was vacant for many years. In more recent years, Robert Musick had a carpentry shop here (1990s); Seasons (2001) sold gardenware here for a spring and summer; Pat Trefz had antiques with Wendy Gish at
Home Again Interiors, L.L.C, and The Nookery
(2001-2002); That One Place [a Baptist youth group meeting space] (2002-2004) occupied the building; Eudora Arts Center (2005-2007); and [DeeAnn and David Alvarez] Coffee Talk, a restaurant with displayed art for sale (2008-2009); [Sissy Weber] Nancy Jane's (2010); [Cami SanRomani] Cami's Cakes (2011-2013); Market on Main (2014- ).
726: BLK 145 N 29 FT OF S 30 FT LT 6 The Ancient Order of United Workers Lodge #112 was built in 1891 for members. Later, it was rented for many years by the Mason’s lodge that finally bought it in 1938. Originally with storerooms on the first floor and meetings upstairs, it has housed [Susan and Joe Pelzel] The Lodge venue center (2016-); Lighthouse teen center (2015-2016); Grandma's Magic Kitchen (2015); Black Cat Café (2010-2014); [Steve Koerner and Danny Strimple] Cutter’s Smokehouse & Pub (2001-2009), Maria’s Restaurant (1999-2001), [Bob and Dody Ortega’s] The Border restaurant (1997-1999), [Chris Deay’s] C. J.s Bar-B-Que (1991-1996), Pancho’s Mexican (1991), Bichelmeyers’ Barbecue (closed in 1991), coffee shop, [Winnie and Lorena Abbot] Abbot’s Café (circa 1948-1950), Martins Café (1944-1948), Gus Ziesenis harness shop and shoe repair (1897-1940), J. W. Caldwell barber shop (1891-1895), and Solon Ellis barber shop(1895-?). Door on north store front leads to upstairs.
728/734: BLK 145 S 1 FT LT 6, ALL LT 7 &N 30 FT LT 8 (E02281,84 & 85 COMBINED 1988) In 1898, Louis Moll bought a 25-foot strip of land from Henry Ziesenis “next to the AOUW,” to build a 30-feet deep, brick blacksmith shop for Fred Moll (1898-1910), a blacksmith, who lived “two doors down” with his wfe, Anna (Herz). Later that year, Moll added footage for a wagon repair store. Joe Zillner had a blacksmith here, too (1917-1930s. The building with the address at 730 Main Street was moved in 1917 to Elm Street. Fred Ziesenis (tailor) (?-1917) was in the north building and to the south, Charles Schuricht’s shoe repair (1889-1917). Originally, Zillner & Herz blacksmith shop (1870s), this address also was a blacksmith during the 1880s.
In April 2005 Matt Montgomery and Tina Lencioni opened Custom Crafted Cycles in this location with a 729 Main address and moved to a new location in 2014. Tim and Anita Mitts opened the Filling Station home décor store in 2014. An addition at 730 shares a wall and was built in 1947 for Eudora Cash Hardware (1947-1959). Also located here was Frank’s Automotive Parts (1959-1961), Troup Bookkeeping and Tax Service (circa 1968); Herb Miner Welding and Bargain Center (1960s-early 1990s) that took up all the building space units, Squeezer’s juice bar (1994), and Miller & Midyett Realtors (1995-2005). 732 L. J. Roller, owner of Eudora Sanitary Bakery, built a small building here for a bakery that also housed Saye Tea Room (circa 1948-1958); Robert Williams’ beer parlor (1935); and Albert Winters’ beer parlor (1932-1934); and Eudora Home Bakery that was moved here to the “Zillner property” and had several owners, including A. Hofaker (1924-1924) and E. Zollikofer, (1924-1924) E.R. Vogel, (1924-?), A. M. McClain (1929-?), Dorman Lady, and Henry Lentz in between 1923-1934. This building had a severe fire in 1929. 734 Oscar (Dobbin) Clark lived in a small structure north of 736 Main Street during the 1960s and 1970s. Also here was Ray Ogden real estate and insurance (1936-1955); Lenahan real estate; and Charlie Richards real estate and law office (1887-1930s). This may have been home built by Joseph Herz in 1859 and used for his cabinetmaking and undertaking in 1880s. Mention of this building built by Herz was made in 1936 news article.
Daugherty’s cream business (1920s); Kenneth Cooper’s shoe repair shop; Fred Ziesenis Jr. shoes and repair (1916-1918 and ?-1942); Dr. C.B. Miller’s office (1918-1921); and Eudora Pantatorium drycleaners (George Trefz, circa 1915) also were in this location or have been here or close by.
736 BLK 145 LTS 9 & 10 & S 20 FT LT 8 (E02286,87,88 & 89 COMBINED 1988) Shown on the 1873 Douglas County map here in the lot 9 was the J. Paxlettner building that extended to the east and the J. Herz building hugging the northeast corner of Eighth Street and Main Street in lot 10, but this corner in the past typically housed more than one building. Also here in the southwest corner was Combest Grocery and restaurant (opened in 1923); Schmoe and Hutton bought the former Combest restaurant. This building had a residence and apartments upstairs (until fire in 1932). Combest built an addition to his store on the north side to close the gap between it and the Carter-Smith building in 1929. In this structure or nearby was a barber shop (1903-1920), J.H. Duffy’s dental office (circa 1915), John Burns’ pool hall (1912-?), Dr. Schellack’s office (c .1880-1915); J. M. “Smike” Tarleton lunch counter (1892-1893; Schroeder grocery (1880s), Buck’s saloon with many caves and cellars, and the George and John Andreas store (circa 1860). In 1899, a crosswalk was made on Eighth Street between the butcher shop and “Schroeder’s Corner.” A wooden fort said to be a defense against Indians was in the alley for decades and built around 1860. H. O. Woodard Ford Agency erected the present 25-foot by 100-foot building in 1917 on the north side of these attached buildings. Now in this building and one to south stands Quilting Bits and Pieces (2001-); Coast to Coast Hardware (1997-2001); C&S Market owned by Bryan Chumbley, Julia Chumbley, John Simpson, and Jeff Simpson (1992-1996); [Gary and Betty Vermillion] Market Basket grocery (1977-1992); Leland “Pete” Lawson and Ray Warmker garage (1960-1975); Oscar and Homer Broers garage (1958-1960); Rothberger Motor auto sales (1936-1958); and H. O. Woodard Ford Agency (1917 -?). On the south side, in 2003, Grand Central (a furniture store) owned by Vicki Evans, opened in December 2002 and closed in 2003 with the address of 736B. Under both 736A and 736B was Blue Collar hand printing shop and Web site design business, which closed in 2005. Reece Nichols occupied the site in 2009. His Hands Clothing Closet, a thrift store, set up at 736b in 2013.
800: BLK 146 LTS 1,2 & N 15 FT LT 3(E02301,02 & 03 COMBINED 1988) Pyle Meat Co. Inc., which closed in 2010 as a beef jerky manufactory, was in this location since 1859 and has been in this location since 1959 and used to have livestock livestock pens to the south for its slaughterhouse. For more than a hundred years, butchers have carried out their trade in stores and even stands. Its occupants include George Bichelmeyer meats (1940-1959), Abner Henley meat market (circa 1938-1940) (building destroyed by fire in mid 1930s), Bert Daugherty, who added a 24’ x 60’ brick tile store room in 1925, stored poultry in back and grocery in front ]; and Meriden Cream Station to south (bought in 1921). Also here were Henry Hagenbuch Meat Market; Willard Eubanks (circa 1909), Hagenbuch meat market (1900-?), Hammert and Hagenbuch meat market (they sold fresh and slated meat and fish in season, also sold Osage shaft coal, Weir coal, and Leavenworth Coal) (1896-1900); Henry Schuette meat market (1888-1896) (Schuette leased his buildings to Hammert and Hagenbuch from 1896 to 1900, and they may have had a meat stand or store a few years earlier); Henry and Jake Hagenbuch (1887-1888) meat market, and R. Heinrich had a building here before 1870 and another Heinrich had one here around 1900. Nelson Hillery and a Mr. Head had a meat shop at Eighth Street and Main Street in 1892; which may have been here or across the street. Bartz and Albright, too, had a meat market in 1897, according to the local newspaper. A stone sidewalk was laid in 1889; in 1900, a brick sidewalk was built on the south side of Eighth Street between Main and Elm Street; that same year boards from the previous sidewalk at that site were sold at auction. To meet codes for shipment outside of Kansas, an addition to the south was built around 2005 for jerky manufacturing. Hair, Nail and Tanning Company opened here in 2010, followed by Cami's Cakes in 2014.
806: BLK 146 LT 4 & S 35 FT LT 3 (E02304 & 2305 COMBINED 1988) Dr. James Still office and home (1800s)
826: Family Hair Care Center (circa 1998); Diana’s [Breithaupt] Beauty Shop (2001- ); [Cara Austen] Lulu's Bakery (2015-2016); [Mellissa Dake and Matthew Houser] The Fork restaurant (2016-).
BLK 146 LT 5 Assembly of God Church
PARK PORTION OF PARK E OF MAINSTREET IN FOLLOWING DESC TR:AREA APPROX 380 FT N & S BOUNDEDON N BY BLKS 134 & 146,& ON S BY BLKS 133 & 147 & APPROX 510FT E & W BOUNDED ON E BY 'E' ST (NOW ELM ST) & ON W BY 'G' ST (NOW MAPLE ST),LESS TR D 170/178,LESS TR D 300/1875 (DIV 1989 E02317A) 840 or 10 W. 9th: The Public Safety Building, which houses the fire station and police station, is located here. In 1900, George Hagenbuch’s house was torn down at the southeast Ninth Street and Main Street and a new building put up. Henry Ziesenis bought it in 1902 for a poultry-raising business. In 1974, Jayhawk Floor Covering at the site had roofing work done.
Copyright 2016. Cindy Higgins. Where the Wakarusa Meets the Kaw: A History of Eudora, Kansas. Eudora, KS: Author.