Downtown Main Street
10th and Main Street: Jayhawk Oil Company, a service station that is now a private residence
835: BLK 134 S 95 FT LTS 9 & 10 (E02171 & 2172 COMBINED 1987) Eudora Car Wash (early 1980s-) replaced the building of Eudora Car Sales (circa 1965-1979 or early 1980s) and Eudora Oil Company also known as Acorn Oil Station (1927-1963 under Charles Schehrer, William Schehrer, and Bert Seiwald) and (1963-1965 under Jack Howard and Lawrence Wilson). Delmar’s Coffee Shop opened here in 1979 for a short period. [Note: A. B. Johnson had a general repair shop at Eighth Street and Main Street around 1911, but it could have been on east side of street.]
827: BLK 134 N 5 FT LTS 9 & 10 & ALL LT 11
817: BLK 134 LT 12 Alice Pasewark beauty shop (1949-1961); William J. Edwards poultry house (1947-1949), now a residence
801/803: BLK 134 LTS 13,14 & 15 (E02175,76 & 77 COMBINED 1988) John Brender, a wagon maker and hardware implements dealer, had a blacksmith shop here in the early 1860s, which was formerly “Reel’s shop.” In 1882, Brender erected a frame building, 50’x 25,' two stories high, for a hardware and implement department and employed five men. S. Schrader bought and operated the blacksmith shop, when the Brenders built a new one a block north. Eudora’s first gas station, Continental Oil Company opened by Charles Conger and later owned by George Gerstenberger (1920-1948) was built here after the Hunsinger house, also on this site, was razed. Mutual Savings of Leavenworth built a bank building on the site 1977 and has occupied it since.
735/739: BLK 135 LTS 7 TO 10 INCL (E02184,85,86 & 87 COMBINED 1988) AND BLK 135 LTS 11,12 & S 22.5 FT LT 13 (E02188,89 & 90 COMBINED1988) includes 729 and 739 The Kaw Valley State Bank was built in 1962 and doubled in size with a northern addition in 1966. Even earlier, Henry Ziesenis operated his harness shop and tannery (before 1870-1887) in a building on this site that also housed a post office, Shinhoffer’s Grocery, the Eudora newspaper, barber shop, Von Bergen cheese factory, and others. The building’s partitions sectioned off three separate businesses. “Ziesenis Corner,” also known as “Post Office Corner,” had a basement, because an 1890 news clipping refers to John Dolisi, butcher, renting the basement of the Ziesenis harness shop, to store 60 tons of summer ice. William Coate bought the Ziesenis harness shop (1887-1891), then fire destroyed the building July 4, 1892. Henry Ziesenis moved his one-story frame building at Seventh Street and Main Street to this location (lot 11) and placed brick around it and added a tin roof. William Fuller bought the building for his hardware store (1897-1928) and put a public water trough in front in 1899. The brick and frame building was said to have been 50’ by 50.’ Fuller, citing his health and bad hip, later sold the large store to Frank Morrissey (1928-1934), who sold the business to Eisele’s Hardware (1934-1943) that later was used as apartments. Marian Clark and Jessie Ball both had beauty shops there circa 1960. A 1927 Sanborn map shows a cream station and feed warehouse on the northeast corner of Lot 12. In 1975, the Haelsig home to the west of the Eighth Street and Main Street southwest corner was demolished to build a parking area for Kaw Valley Bank. Before 1900, this area was referred to as the “Haelsig block.”
This American Hotel, also known as the Pennsylvania House and American House, was located on lot 13 and in operation about 1880 and later (1934?) destroyed by fire. In 1899, a news item referred to this site as the “old John Dolisi” home. Etta Zimmerman opened a dressmaking service here in 1893, Charles Durr had offices here until 1893, and the Eudora newspaper also had its office there (circa 1909). Wilson & Barrett had a grocery store and general merchandise store around 1894 to 1898 that was located “on the west of the street, a few doors north of the post office,” which may have put the store around this location as the post office was located on the southwest corner of Eighth Street and Main Street at this time. J. Buck had a building in 1873 on lot 13 on lots north of the American Hotel.
731/733: The Kaw Valley ATM machine stands where this building was. Probably built by Charles Lothholz around 1860 but owned by Charles Pilla in 1873, it housed several businesses, including Scott Electrical and Plumbing (1948-1960), [Arthur Parks’] Rural Electric Company (1945-1948), Gerstenberger IGA grocery (1930-1934), Daugherty meat market (1921), Rose Harvey Café (1920-1923 and maybe later), Dr. Robinson’s office (1888-1919) (with a 733 Main and also 731 Main addresses), Fred Ziesenis tailor shop (1917-1920), Siler’s millinery shop (circa 1916), Fred Hadle’s barbershop, H. Papenhausen restaurant (1908-probably 1912 when Papenhausen moved to McLouth to run a similar operation), Kunkel’s millinery shop, and the newspaper (in the basement). The 1976 Douglas County Historic Building Survey has a photograph of this building, which it calls the “Anderson ” (a reference to Anderson electronics store at the time) building owned by Charles Lothholz in 1860, according to abstracts. This may have been the Haelsig Building, too. As for businesses in the Haelsig Building, in 1887, a skating rink owned by “Rutter & Wall” opened in the Haelsig Building “just vacated by Myers and Vogel.” An April 28, 1892 news account says Alvin Schellack had his physician’s office in the Haelsig building vacated by Henry Abels; an 1896 item said Dr. White and Dr. Child had office in the upstairs of the Haelsig Building. Styles Wherry, a dentist, also set up shop there. W.H. Robinson had his physician’s office here after he took over the location from the constantly-moving Coate’s shoe shop in late 1897, which also may have been occupied by William Schubert who used the “old Haelsig Building on Main” for his furniture store, said an 1897 news item. [Note: There was the Haelsig home, a “Haelsig” building just south of the railroad tracks on the west side of Main Street, and Haelsig jewelry store on the west side of Main Street, which may confuse addresses. In 1981, Kaw Valley State Bank razed the building made of thick stone faced with brick.
729: G. Endres had a small building on the southern corner (or lot 11) here before 1870. In recent years, this building has housed the Eudora Thrift Shop; [Heather Noble] Broers Flower Shop (2007-2011); [LaDonna Russell] Stable Systems Solution (computer installation and repair) (2005-2007); [Matt Montgomery and Tina Lencioni] DC Custom Crafted Cycles, Accessories and Apparel (2005); Whiskey Creek Trading Company owned by Heidi Hanzlik with used furniture and decorative items (2004-2005); [Teresa Wilson and Havron Saunders] CandyLand Olde Tyme Candies and Gifts (2003-2004); and Eudora News (1989-2000). This building was bought by the Earl Raymond Scott family in 1957 for their electrical business (1962-1981), which was previously Julius Lotz’s wallpaper and paint store “one door south of Bartusch’s” (1900-1935? 1950?). T. L. Haelsig, in 1899, had a harness shop in “Lotz building,” “one door south of Bartusch restaurant.
727: BLK 135 LT 13, LESS S 22.5 FT;ALL LT 14 & S 4 FT LT 15 (E02191,92 & 94 COMBINED 1988) North side: [Bill Vigneron’s] Bill’s Tax Service (1987-), Calico ceramics shop, Eudora Enterprise, The Hair Loft (1970s-1980s), Eudora Public Library (1967-1974), [Emma Jean (Miner) Nuffer] Klip ‘n Curl Beauty Salon, (mid to late 1960s) Betty Beach beauty saloon (1964-1965), Bill Neustifter’s paint store (1962-1964), medical office of Bernard Harden (1951-1955)/George Learned (1949-1951)/ Ralph Hale (1948-1949)/ Milton Dodge (1947-1948)/ Lewis Blackburn (1946-1947) and /Chase Johnson (circa 1923 to 1946). South half was used by Frank Martin for a café (circa 1943-1948) with five stools and one table. Also was Julius Lotz residence (late 1800s to mid 1950s). Other businesses housed in these buildings were Rose Harvey Café (1920-1923); Adolph Lotz’s real estate and insurance (1890s-1930) and Eudora News Weekly (circa 1900-1915) with barbershop operated by Bert Brown, then Clark Major, and later George Catlin in basement. Michael “Dan” Scannel’s real estate and insurance and tobacco office (1917-1915) also said to be at 727 Main and 740 Main, depending on the year and reporter). This building was said to have been built in 1898. Abstracts show that Asher Cohn owned it in 1860; other owners were J. F. Roberts, Dr. S. American, Traugott Haelsig, Ernest and Frederick Gerstenberger, Adoph Lotz, and Julius Lotz.
723: BLK 135 S 26 FT LT 15 LESS S 4FT Built by Dr. Kibler, this building housed Eudora Wash Tub (before 1983- ), J&M Laundry (circa 1974), [Stan and Wanda Cooke’s] Eudora Laundrette (1966-1974), and [Madge Lancaster’s] beauty parlor (1952-1958). A. F. Haelsig’s jewelry shop was around here before 1870 and past 1875. The "stone" building in the photograph on left with Velma Hadl is the laudrymat.
Somewhere around this location Michael “ Dan” Scannell had a cigar, tobacco, candy, and insurance (1890-1915) called Dan’s News.
721: Durr Hall, built before 1875 and site of early social functions, housed Gerstenberger I.G.A. grocery (1930s-1950); William Coate’s/Bill Hotz shoe repair (circa 1900-1910), Ida Brender’s millinery store (1891 to at least 1897) in lower rooms. In the early 1990s, the Tiki Hut, a frozen ice drink operated around here in the empty lot. Robert Bartusch had an ice cream parlor, bakery, and cafe (1882 and 1890s) here; a 1913 deed record shows that Robert Bartusch deeded Lot 15, Block 135 to Mina Bartusch and Clara Lotz, both of whom were his daughters.
719: BLK 135 LT 16 LESS N 28.5 FT D196/33 [J. Ramirez’s] Jasmin restaurant (Chinese and Mexican food) (2000-), The Pub (1997-? owned by Greg and Gayle Daniels of Lawrence, and 1985-1997 by Darrell Kahle), [Dan Strimple’s and Larry Sanders’] The Pub bar (1982-1984), Jim’s Bar and Grill (1970s-1980s), Winfred Ball’s pool hall (circa 1965); Palace Shoe Shop (1930s). Alfred Eisele’s plumbing and tin shop (1914-1934) (Robert Gabriel was in partnership with him until 1925), shoe shop (circa 1912), and bakery (circa1910). [Note: This may have been the city recreation hall in the late 1960s; if not, it was around this location].
715: BLK 135 N 28.5 FT LT 16 includes 717 Main: Maps show a building here in 1870 belonging to Casper Marfilius. There also was said to be a small, wooden building here built in 1880s that at one time was rented to Fred Brocker for selling shoes. Charles Willsdorf also had a confectionary, pool hall, and shooting gallery in the “two Willsdorf buildings” that formerly housed the “Billiard Hall” and grocery of W. J. Baker, post office( ?-1892), and Eudora State Bank/Eudora Home Bank (1892-1897), before William Schubert opened his barber shop here in 1897, added on to the building in 1904 and put his undertaking rooms in the large brick part of the building, furniture and sewing machine sales on the south, and barber shop in front. Other businesses here include Shepherd’s Plumbing and Construction (1989- ); [Mike and Bill Westerhouse’s] Eudora Heating and Air Conditioning (1982-1989) that shared office space with Miller Midyett (north) (during this time two apartments upstairs restored); Delmars Bar & Grill (1970s); Orthocast/Orthopedic Casting Laboratory Inc. (1974- ?); [Dick and Dorothy Cullimore] Eudora Cleaners, a drycleaner, (1966-1970); Mabel White’s drycleaner (mid 1950s); Kennett drycleaner (circa 1957-1960); H. S. Woodard garage in south part of building around 1930; [Johnnie and Joyce Miller’s] Johnnie’s Café (late 1940s-early 1950s); [Fred] Lawn Café; [Frank Popham’s] Victory Café (1945-1948); [Joe] Smiths Café (1930-1936); Elmer Everley barber shop (1929-?); J.D. Burton barber shop (1927-1929); and W.R. Henley jewelry store (opened in 1917). J.W. Cooper, a physician from Desoto, took over the rooms vacated by Dr. White (1890-1897, and, in 1887, W. F. Fowler, Lawrence, set up a shop to repair watches and sewing machines that closed in 1893. 713: Heads or Nails Family Salon (2009-2014); [Seth/Brian Rislove's] Main Event (1984-2008) and Country Cutting (early 1980s); Larry Brooks' barber shop (opened in 1978); Mark Cundiff's barber shop (1973-1978); Bob's [Seth Rislove’s] Main Event (1985- ) and Country Cutting (early 1980s);
Larry Brooks’ barber shop (opened in 1978); Mark Cundiff’s barber shop (1973-1978); Bob’s Barber (owned by Bob Massey and also staffed by Dave Garrettt, Kenneth Lawson, and Mark Cundiff) (1961-1973) and Don Rayl’s barber shop (1955-1961).
711 BLK 135 LT 17 includes 713: IOOF Lodge, Miller Agency Insurance (which originally was part of Kaw Valley Bank), Tornedon Tax Service (1970-1981+); Medical Devices Corps (1967-1975+); Alf T.H. Oleson Rexall pharmacy (lower floor) (1946-1961); Cliff Pingry barber shop (1945-1955); Chet Daum’s barber shop (1942-1945); Tom Rickett’s barber shop (1940-1942); shoe repair services (1919-1925); [Charles Noell and D. Sheldon, both of Medicine Lodge] barber shop (1913-?); Alonzo Mack barber shop (8 months in 1913); Homer White Rexall pharmacy (1903-1944); John Kennedy pharmacy (1895-1903) (Kennedy built an oil house in rear of store in 1899); and McShane & Scott pharmacy (1893-1895). Kling had a building on the northern edge here before 1870.
709: BLK 135 LT 18 Today’s post office built in 1962 stands on site of the two-story, frame Lavo Building built before 1870 that had upstairs apartments. In the 1880s, the Lavo Building , which appeared on the 1870 atlas, housed a bakery. In this building was Ernest Coony restaurant (1940s); Loss restaurant (1942); Emma Lotz café (took over for Tarleton until 1942 and bought property in 1922, according to abstract); Robert and Louis Graham’s restaurant (1921-1922); J. Milt “Smike’s” Tarleton confectionery and café (1909-1921); J. Milt Tarleton and Will Trefz bakery and restaurant (1907-1909); H. C. Papenhausen’s bakery, restaurant, and confectionary (1905-1907); Gress restaurant (1903-1905); Loomis restaurant (before 1903); Lowrie restaurant (1902); Carlton barber shop (early 1900s); William Coates’ harness shop (1899) (William Coates bought out Ed Marshall’s interest in 1899 and hired T. L. Haelsig) who was here (1892-1895); and Papenhausen bakery, confectionery and cigar story (1888-1889). The original abstract shows that August and Johanna Ziesenis sold this lot “with a farmhouse thereon.”
707: BLK 135 S 27 FT LT 19 In 1873, an atlas shows a hotel owned by H. Raum here. A 1917 news item said the Ramm family had their home here until the State Bank (began 1892) was built. However, an 1899 item said Henry Ramm had been living in San Francisco since 1875, and a news story of the time said that Charles Pilla’s warehouse stood here and was razed in 1897 to house the Eudora State Bank, which became the Home State Bank (1923-1927). Mention of a bank was made in an 1895 news items that said Josie Conner had bought out Mrs. Gus Ziesenis’ share of a confectionery and ice cream parlor co-owned with Mary Ziesnenis. The store had opened in 1894 and was “one door north of the bank.” Since those days, it has housed Suzanne Ashley Alterations and Other Wonders (2003-2006), Noggins (beauty salon) (late 1990s), [Trisha Lemmons’] Lasting Impressions beauty salon (1996), Jack Murphy’s law offices, [Mrs. Ken Lawson] beauty salon, [Carol Fulks’] Carol’s Beauty Shop (1966-1982), Emma Jean (Miner) Ellis hair salon (circa 1965), Miller & Midyett Real Estate (1963 and a couple of years, Clarence William watchmaker (circa 1950s), Abbott’s Café (circa 1952), and Bea Wilson hair salon (1941-1951), and George Wolf’s dentist office (circa 1937). The Kansas Historic Sites Board of Review added this building to the state’s register of historic places in 2012.
701-703: BLK 135 LT 19 LT 20;ALSO LT 19, LESS S 27 FT THEREOF (E02198 & 2200 COMBINED 1988) Bought by singer Kawehi in 2013 and known as the Pilla Building, this 8,000 square foot building has residences upstairs (some used for recording studios) and was extensively remodeled by Sam Platt, owner of Redhouse Recording, which continued with Get Up Kids rock band, owners of Blacklodge Recording. Before, it was a funeral chapel (1990s), [Ruth and Howard Wilson’s] Quick Chek and Howard’s Quick Check (and later Super Saver) grocery (1960-1980+), [Otis Wolfe’s] IGA (1957-1960), Robert and Mary Nusbaum grocery (1950-1957), John Kazmaier grocery (1937-1940), Fred Walker and George Schubert grocery (1930s), and Herb Lawson grocery (circa 1929). From 1862 to 1929, it housed the Pilla Store, which sold groceries, general merchandise, and implements. Charles Pilla parked farm machinery behind the store and to the west. Also behind the stores was another grocery (circa 1929). 705: A later addition to the Pilla building and residence of one of his daughters, this structure has housed Jim O’ Berg’s office, [Mark Russel’s] pizza shop, [Rosalie Fulks] The Country Shoppe that sold yarn (1973-1975), various cafes(1960s-1971); The Grille (1941-1949) owned by Les Fisher then Oscar Westerhouse and Lester Massey (1944-1946) then Johnnie and Joyce Miller (1946-1947) then [Earl and Olive] Clark’s Café (1949-1958). Known at the Grille café later was owned by Margaret Shoemate (1958-1959), Marvin Thompson (1959-1960), Burgesses (1960-1961), Wilma McBee (1961-1962), Fred Christian (1962-1964), [Irma Rucker] Irma’s Café (1964-1967); [Delmar Alpers’] Pop’s Café (1967-1967), [Kenneth Church] Ken’s Café (1967-1968) then [Lucile Wheeler’ Wheeler’s Cafe (1968), Lloyd Bryant, and, in 1971, new management called the café “Roberta’s.” In the alley west of the building, Henry Zeisenis had a shop in the 1890s. Pilla built a warehouse behind the building in 1889.
621: W 1/2 OF MARKET AREA BETWEEN BLKS 136 & 144,LYING ALSO BETWEEN 6TH & 7TH STS IN CITY OF EUDORA KS,LESS W 35 FT THEREOF ORD #437,PASSED 3-31-80 (DIV 1988 E02210A)
Main Street Terrace:
Formerly a small house on corner that belonged to Mrs. S. E. DuClause, Thomas Elliot, and others
Dan Kraus Livery Barn
621: Eudora Hotel (1880s-1893).
619: Grocery (circa 1800s) on Main Street Terrace
Copp hotel (where Lawsons lived in 1930s)
6 West Sixth Street Bismarck Hotel (1895-past 1910 and later residence) and, a little further west, Gus Braun’s shoe repair store (circa 1900). Before Bismarck, in the1860s, Dr. Kemper built the “Stone Jug”
A. Abrahmson also ran a saloon in the “old Haelsig” building in 1892 south of the railroad track on Main Street. The house adjoined the Bismarck Hotel and was destroyed by fire in 1924.
527: BLK 137 LTS 11,12,13 & 14 (E02218A & E02220A COMBINED 2000) C-Hawkk (which makes highway signage, etc.) in the structure built for the Eudora Animal Clinic (1975-late 1980s).
North of Burlington Northern-Santa Fe railroad tracks
Getkers undertaking (? until 1904)
- Peter Hartig home
- Also north of railroad tracks in earliest years a furniture store, Durr store, and Basemann store stood.
At one time, Etta Reber, too, had a restaurant and confectionery, north of the railroad tracks before she moved to Lawrence in 1895. East side? West side?
Copyright 2016. Cindy Higgins. Where the Wakarusa Meets the Kaw: A History of Eudora, Kansas. Eudora, KS: Author.