Eudora Timeline

Home

View Douglas County timeline.

Late 1700s: Kansa Indians thought to have camped by the junction of the Wakarusa River and Kansas River.

1819: Major Stephen Long and his detachment followed the 170-mile long Kansas River through Eudora.

1829: Delaware Indians settle on the north side of the Kansas River

1842: General John C. Fremont camps near Eudora

Early 1840s: Fish Tribe moves to Eudora area

1851: Missouri Conference of the Methodist Church sanctioned the establishment of a mission among the Shawnee, and Abraham Still oversees this “Wakarusa Mission” in Eudora

1854: The May 10, 1854 treaty between the United States government and the United Tribe of Shawnee gives land in Eudora Township to Fish Tribe and other Shawnee; Quakers establish Springfield community later known as Hesper

1856: Eudora Homestead Association, a German settlement association, organizes in Chicago

1857: Shawnee sell Germans acreage on south bank of Wakarusa where it joins Kansas River; first German settlement society members arrive; mill arrives in Eudora from St. Louis; post office established

1858: First school founded; Eudora incorporated as a city under territorial laws

1859: F. Faerber, Eudora’s first mayor, elected; drought begins

1860: Formal deed of Shawnee sale to German land transaction filed April; Council grants Kansas Central Railroad free road rights over all public places and roads in city; Eudora Township Relief Committee organized December 1

1861: Frame school building put up and later used as city hall; Julius Fischer organizes Company “M,” and “a rousing company, about 80 in number” mainly from Eudora’s farming community

1863: William Quantrill terrorizes farm families south of Eudora before pillaging Lawrence

1864: Holy Family Church organized October 1 with 32 members who build church also that year; German Turn-Verein organized in 1864

1865: Train depot built in Fall Leaf

St. Paul1868: St. Paul Evangelical Church established

1869: Benie Isreal Jewiish Cemetery established

1870: Holy Family School opened by three sisters from Leavenworth; German Methodist Church founded; Salem Evangelical United Brethren Church established at 716 Church Street

1871: St. Paul Church built

1872: St. Louis, Lawrence, and Denver Railroad train, the first one through Eudora, passes by

1874: Grasshopper plague

1879: The Eudora Temperance Union organized and chartered

1882: Ancient Order of United Workmen founded

1884: Hesper Academy founded

1885: English Methodist Church established

1886: Newspaper founded

Bank top on Main

1892: Kansas River bridge constructed; State Bank of Eudora opened

1896: First Missionary Baptist Church built

1901: Central Protective Association founded

Building 1903 school1903: Kansas River floods; brick school built on Church Street

1906: Hagenbuch ice plant built, no more need to cut ice from river

1918: Eudora High School built on Tenth Street

1923: State Bank fails, Home State Bank takes its place

1924: Revivial of Ku Klux Klan and its attack on Catholicism causes unrest

1935: First Highway 10, now Tenth Street in Eudora, finally paved from the Johnson County line to just west of the Wakarusa Bridge; mild earthquake rocks Eudora

Students winding Maypole1936: Several streets were paved

1937: Water lines provide water; water plant built in 1936

1942: Sunflower Ordnance Works built; Eudora’s population booms with workers needing homes

1946: Eudora Flower Club named city streets after trees.

1951: Kansas River floods

1965: Nottingham Elementary School built

Aerial Eudora in 19571966: Eudora schools unified

1967: Eudora Public Library founded: Eudora train depot closes

1970: Zoning regulations for the city, business, residential, and industrial sites and annexed 67 acres at the southwest edge of the city

1974: Eudora Nursing Center opens

1976: Football and track field between Elm Street and Church Street built

1977: A 4,285 square foot swimming pool with bath house and wading pool was added to the city recreational complex

1985: A ground-breaking ceremony at Tenth and Pine Street for a $585,000 senior citizens housing project of 24 single-story housing units called "PineCrest" takes place

1989: Eudora News founded by Bert Hull and Vickie Hull

1990: Lumberyard and train depot burn

1994: Eudora West Elementary built; first Eudorafest takes place

1995: High school built

1996: EudoraFest begins; Dairy Queen built

2000: Eudora parks get official names

Housing construction2002: City Council changes Halloween date to November 1 because of high school football game and creates media stir

2003: Another high school built; Eudora elevator closes doors

2006: Lions Club starts fundraiser for statue of Eudora and Paschal Fish; Eudora goes from “dry” to “wet”

2007: Eudora celebrates its sesquicentennial anniversary; Paschal Fish and Eudora Fish statue dedicated in Pilla Park; new swimming pool and recreation center open

2008: Lawrence Journal World buys Eudora News, which later ceases publication

2010: Eudora becomes a City of the Second Class

2011: Eudora Medical Park opens and Tenth Street school razed

Copyright 2010. Cindy Higgins. Where the Wakarusa Meets the Kaw: A History of Eudora, Kansas. Eudora, KS: Author.