Marmaduke Coate, (1738-1822), born in New Berry, South Carolina, married Mary Coppock, and they rode in a fine carriage with a coat of arms on it. His great-grandson, William Coate, the son of David who was the son of William, was born in Park County, Indiana, on April 11, 1835. He and wife, Eunice, raised six children and had twin sons who died in infancy. William was a shoemaker in Bloomington, Indiana, and had a large shoe and harness shop with his two brothers, Hiram and Jim, both of whom had physical handicaps as did William who was club-footed. All nine men who worked at the shop except one were physically disabled in some way. William and Eunice Coate with their five children came to Kansas in 1878 and stopped near Hesper when they ran out of money. With two teams of horses and only 20 cents, they moved in with friend Luke Woodard and planted 20 acres of corn. In a stable one half mile east of Hesper, William got enough work to make a living. Three years later, he bought a farm where son Omer was born. Because of family ill health, he sold the farm and moved to Eudora where Eunice died in 1893. In 1903, he married Mattie Allen and ultimately lived with his oldest daughter, Minerva Conger in Lawrence until his death in 1917. Source: Records prepared by Elizabeth Ann Coate Pickering, dated April 27, 1937, and revised by Janette Coate Stallings, Oct. 6, 1961.
A farmer in Section 13, Thomas Connor was born in Dumfrieshire, Scotland, December 26, 1834, to John Conner and Mary (Robinson). He came to the United States in 1853, and settled in Kane County, Illinois, where he remained three years, and then came to Willow Springs, Kansas. In 1872, he purchased a quarter section in Eudora Township. He married Mary, daughter of Robert McClellen and Agnes (McWhitter) in Willow Springs on March 15, 1860. They had three children: Mary A. (born November 10, 1861 who married T. H. Cole); Charles A. (born March 7, 1864) and Addison M. (born December 3, 1866). Connor was a member of the English Methodist Church and Eudora Lodge, No. 42, I.O.O.F. Source: History of the State of Kansas (1883) by William Cutler
Jacob Felker Copp, born near Mount Joy , Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, came to Eudora in May 1866. He and wife, Mary, had the following children: Frank, Clarence, Mrs. Ben Bartz, Mrs. Frank Newman, Mrs. William Allan, and Mrs. Dorrance Browa. Jacob was the son of Henry Copp, born in Sweden, and Eliza, born in Pennsylvania. In the 1880 census, Henry (as was Jacob) was listed as a butcher. Younger children than Jacob were Frederic (19), Kate (18), and Lovina (17). Douglas County marriage records show that Levina Copp married Leslie Brown, of Osage County, on November 3, 1886. Sources: Besides those mentioned, Jacob Copp’s obituary (May 24, 1928)
George Daugherty, born August 16, 1828, of Scotch-Irish ancestry, near Fredericktown, New Brunswick, married Lucy (Longfellow) in 1854. They came to Kansas in 1857. Their sons were Charles, Bert, and Ellis. Source: George Daughtery’s obituary (1907)
Samuel H. Davis, the oldest son of Bartlet and Adele Hunt Davis, was born in Randolph County, North Carolina, on March 20, 1848. His father died in 1858. In 1861, his mother moved to Indiana, and the following year settled in Douglas County. He and siblings Martha, James, Roxana, Margaret, and Della attended Hesper grade school. Davis graduated from the State Normal School at Emporia in 1872. While pursuing his studies, he also taught school in 1870 in both Wyandotte County and also in Grant Township. Then he became principal of the Eudora school and operated his farm 80 acres devoted to grain and stock in Section 28. He married Emma (Stubbs) in Hesper in 1877. They built a two-story, seven-room home one-fourth mile west of Hesper Corner. On the south side, they put up a screened porch and well with a pump. South of the house was a smoke house that was converted to a milk station in 1917 to meet government requirements to sell milk. Besides the barn, outside toilet, corn crib, cattle sheds, and pig pens, they had a large apple and peach orchard. Their children were Lena, Anna, Homer, Virgil, Della Alma, Mildred, Ruth, and James. Davis was a member of the Society of Friends and a member of Doric Lodge, No. 83, A., F. & A. M. Source: History of the State of Kansas (1883) by William Cutler and Samuel Hunt Davis and Emma Stubbs Davis Married December 24, 1877: Their Home, Children, and Grandchildren by Mildred Davis Watson (their daughter) December 1977 who lived in Lawrence till her death at age 98.
George Ruben Deay (born April 15, 1798 in Virginia) married Catherine (Mock), age 16, daughter of Andrew Mock and Margaret Rush) in Bourbon County, Kentucky, on September 20, 1825. George died December 7, 1879, in Eudora and is buried in Deay Cemetery. They appear to have lived in Indiana and then Monroe County, Iowa, before coming to Kansas in a caravan with other families in prairie schooners. Their children were Margaret Elizabeth (June 21, 1826-July 6, 1826), Sarah Ann (1827-1910), Margaret (1831-1907), James Thomas (1833-1913), Francis (1836-1894), George Russell (1839-1844), Mary Elizabeth "Sis” (born 1841), Lewis Morgan (1844-1907), and Amanda Louisa (1847-1902). They also had John Ruben (born August 30, 1829 ) who married Louisa Elgin or Elam and had several children who lived in Eudora or close by. Another son William A. (born December 3, 1834) first married Margaret Belvail with whom he had seven children. After her death in 1881, William married Dove Anne (Camac) (Hashman) Keller in 1891 and had one child, Mollie, born February 2, 1894. Francis donated land for the Deay Cemetery, which was on his farm, and Katherine, his mother, was the first to be buried there. Their third burial was that of Catharine Deay, the 10-month-old daughter of Francis and Lucy Deay. Francis’ other children were: James Arlander, Lewis, Carrie (Greenier), Retta (Daugherty), Florenie (Milburn), and Ida (Sanders). Source: My Deay and Mock Ancestors http://members.aol.com/rwa5352802/deay/ (George Ruben Deay, William A. Deay, Cora Deay, Bird Elam ) and Complete Tombstone Census of Douglas County Kansas Volume II (1989) by the Douglas County Genealogical Society.
Jacob Dolisi and Marie Catherine (Deprez), born in 1815 and seen in photograph to the left, came to the United States from France and settled in Mascoutah, St. Clair County, Illinois, by 1850. They were living in Eudora by 1870 and were Catholics. They used part of their home as meat market and Cottage House rooming house, 11 E. Seventh Street, shown here. Two of their children were Jacob Jr. and Nicholas (who never married). Living in Eudora during the same time period were Prussians Jacob and Mary Dolisi with their children as well as John and Elizabeth Dolisi and their children. Source: 1880 U.S. census and Marie Dolisi’s obituary
The proprietor of Eudora Mills, Charles Durr, seen here to the left, was born in Colbert, Prussia, Germany on July 10, 1821. At 13, he was apprenticed to the trade of cabinet-making, carpentering, and millwrighting. He came to New York City in the spring of 1852. He worked as a carpenter there and also when he moved to Chicago in 1854. In 1857, he came to Eudora to buy land for a town site. Said his son, Waldo, in a newspaper article, “My father, Charles Durr, and another man named Pfief were the first two to come from the Association in Chicago that had organized for a town.” Durr set up a sawmill with a $4,200 saw and also had a corn cracker operation with equipment bought in St. Louis, Missouri, and powered by 16 oxen. He continued to transact business for the settlement company and was mayor for eight terms. His great-granddaughter Judith (Dürr) Hoglander, recalled how Charles Dürr would come into the school building during a regular workday at the mill. Covered in flour, he walked up and down the aisles to check on the students’ progress. Durr went to Germany and married Henrietta Sophia (Zinnecke), born in Colbert, Prussia, on his birthday in 1868. In Eudora, they had seven children: Alfred, Carl, Berthold, Thekla, Alma, Waldo, and another daughter. Their home on Seventh Street, which still stands, is shown in the photograph. Henrietta had a well dug at the Eudora Cemetery to water the flowers on Charles’ grave. When she died, her estate showed that she owned 162 ½ acres in Douglas County, and more than 90 lots in 19 Eudora blocks. Her estate was estimated at $25,000 in 1900. Source: Douglas County, General Indices of Deeds 1-5; Judith Dürr Hoglander, Worcester, MA, interview with Stefan Klinke (July 13, 2002); Probate Court of Douglas County Docket E-347, NO. 702; and History of the State of Kansas (1883) by William Cutler; and Lawrence Journal World (June 7, 1957) in an interview with Waldo Durr, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Born in 1859 to John Edelbrock and Mary (Wiser), John Edelbrock married Katherina “Kate” Hoover in Illinois. They moved to Strawn, Kansas, and had 10 children: Nelson, Elmer, Mary (Thoren/Cook), Edith Efffie (Reusch), Grant, Cleva, John, Bill, Peter, and Tabitha (who died in childhood). In 1904, the family moved northeast of Eudora in Johnson County. Later, they bought a small farm one-half mile south of Eudora and finally moved into the city of Eudora. Peter married Minnie (Breithaupt), the daughter of Chloa and Martin, in Clearfield on October 21, 1924. They farmed near Eudora, and Minnie was a substitute teacher for 25 years. Source: Linda Reusch Broers in Douglas County, Kansas, Family Histories 1991-1992, Vol. 1 by Carol Buhler Francis and Echoes, 14, Number 2, (February 1991), published by the Eudora Nursing Center.
The Eder family originally came from Bavaria. A Caroline Eder, born in Germany, married Peter Vohs in 1871 in Eudora. In the 1880 census, Michael and Ann (Oberleitner) Oeder [Eder] were listed as farmers with their six children: Mary, Joseph, Burka, Anna, Kate, and infant son. Ann’s father, Mathew, age 65, lived with them. Waltburga (Oberleitner), born in Breitenberg, Oberbeiren, Germany, came to the United States in 1880, the same year she married Louis Eder on April 15. They lived two and one-half miles southeast of Eudora. Louis Eder’s later home was at the northeast corner of Church Street and Ninth Street. Source: Waltburga Eder’s obituary (1907), census, and news accounts
Melchior Eisele (1741-1810) was born in Essingen , Germany , and died in Oberbobingen. A weaver, at age 31, he married Maria Schurr (1745-1812) and also was in change of the grain storage of nobleman von Woellwart. One of their sons, Michael, also a weaver, married Catharina (Streicher), daughter of carpenter Johannes and Ursula (Huber), and had five children: Johannes, Maria, Gottlieb, Barbara, and Ursula. Gottlieb “Melchoir” (born December 20, 1829, in Aalen, Wurtemberg) at age, 26, was said to have impregnated Wilhelmine “Minnie” Strobel who was about 12, and her widowed mother, Auguste Wilhelmine Strobel, 37, persuaded Melchoir to marry her instead in 1855, and her daughter, Minnie, to marry Melchoir’s close friend, Jacob Schurle. This story is according to family lore but that doesn’t make sense in date examination. Melchior, Auguste, and their only child, Rosine, left Germany and arrived in New Orleans in 1875. They came to Eudora in September 1875. At their new home north of Eudora and later close the Johnson County line, Melchoir planted a vineyard and orchard. He made his own wine and beer. Rosine (“Rosa”) married Ernst Abels on March 2, 1880. In 1881, Auguste died, and Gottlieb married Christiana Kaiser, 17, about five feet tall, who had been helping Auguste. Their children, who attended Oberlin District No. 80 school, were Alfred, Wilhelm, Henry, and Arthur. Source: Eisele Family and Hornberger Family (March 1, 1977) by Clifford Eisele
From Carter County, Kentucky, Leander Erwin and Mary (Laynee) moved to Jefferson County, Kansas, then Eudora. Leander set up a general store in the north part of town. Their children were: Effie (Green), Samuel, Bertha (who died in childhood), Sarah (Williams), Richard, Cora, Benjamin (who married Myrtle Bryant and was the only one who left descendants in Eudora), John, and Rosa (Williams) who died in 1974. John “Peggy” Williams married Sarah Erwin in 1908 and they lived in a “big, two-story stone building” between the railroad tracks and the Wakarusa River. It was originally a store on the first floor with living quarters in the rear and upstairs and later used as a saloon. “Peggy” often fished with Dug Harris, who lived next door, and had a boat that he used to recover the body of child who drowned in Lawrence. He scooped up the child’s body in his gunny sack and used the $100 reward money to buy five lots on the north side of the railroad tracks between the mill and elevator from Charles Pilla. Source: Mary Jane Knisely in Douglas County, Kansas, Family Histories 1991-1992, Vol. 1 by Carol Buhler Francis and Knisely’s Families Everley (Eberle), Williams, Erwin.
Porfiro Estrada came to the United States to work on migrant farms and for the Santa Fe Railroad but never gave up his Mexican citizenship. His daughter, born in 1927 in Eudora when he was employed by the railroad, said he liked the atmosphere of small towns better than that of larger towns, which is why he liked Eudora. His children included Frank, Irene (Alvarez), and Jesse (Vargas). Source: Anita (Alvarez) Abel, interview (2003)
Joseph Eberle, born 1817 in Wurtemberg, was an investing member of the Chicago company that organized Eudora even though he wasn’t one of the first ones here. In 1857, he married Mary Ann Ehrenberg, seen here in a 1920 photograph, from a small village by Berlin named Strausburg; the 1880 Census says she was born in Bavaria, which she have been and later moved. Mary Ann, born January 7, 1828, came to the United States with her brothers, Mike, John, and Ira. In Truesdale, by Warrenton, Missouri, Mary Ann and Joseph bought 40 acres. Joseph enlisted at Warrenton, Missouri, January 31, 1862. He was 5 feet 5 inches tall and said he was a miller. He served in the Union’s Company C Missouri Cavalry then switched to Company H Calvary in May 1862. His horse and gear were captured in at Pilot Knob, Missouri, and he
he had to pay the government for the loss
of his haversack. He and Mary Ann filed a quit claim deed September 1864 for their Truesdale property and came to Eudora in 1865. Their house had a front room (where the parents slept in a big bed); kitchen; and small, narrow room on the east for storage in which the coal oil stove malfunctioned causing a ruinous house fire in 1918. Joseph hauled freight through Lawrence, Leavenworth, and Eudora with four “beautiful white horses.” On one snowy trip between Eudora and Lawrence he stopped to drink whiskey, fell asleep, and woke up with pneumonia that killed him a few days later. He was buried in the Catholic Cemetery and has a headstone provided for him in 1971 from the Pentagon. His wife was buried in the Eudora Cemetery; she “abjured” Catholicism. Her step-children were listed as Lizzie Vogler and George O’Brion. Mary Ann said she was 101 when she died, but her obituary says 100. She also said her father lived till 101 and her mother to 98. Although the 1870 census shows Mary Ann and Joseph from Saxony, the 1880 census shows Anna Eberly, 42, from Bavaria, as head of a household including Carrie (Clara Katherine), 19; Mary, 14; George, 12; and John, 8. A school teacher suggested the family change its name to “Everley,” and it did. Clara Katherine married John Calvin Williams, from Glasgow, Scotland, and they lived with children John, Francis, George, and Arthur by the Everley home. She died soon after Arthur died of yellow jaundice. Mary married Louis Day and lived south of Lawrence. George Everley married Maggie Marley on August 29, 1894; they had one child, Charles Floyd Everley. George, a section foreman for the Santa Fe Railway later married Nora Orender. Besides George Elmer (always known as “Elmer”), George and Nora had son Marion Wilson Everley, born December 29, 1912, in Eudora and died March 29, 1998, in Lawrence. They also had, according to a July 21, 1927 Eudora News Weekly article, one of the rarest and most beautiful antique living room suites in Douglas County ” of solid walnut with hand carving. It consisted of a settee, four straight chairs, a rocking chair, and an odd chair upholstered in red mohair. Their son, Marion, married Louise Margaret Jarboe, and their children were Robert “Steve,” Barbara (born 1940), and Phillip (born August 27, 1943). Phillip Everley owner of Diamond Everley Roofing, launched “Everley Addition” south of Eudora, the first housing development south of K-10 Highway . The children of he and second wife, Helen, are Mark, Patrick, and Steven, each of whom graduated first in their grade at Eudora High School. The youngest child of Joseph and Mary Ann was John Charles Everley, born August 3, 1871. He married Melvina Christina Wilson on April 16, 1895, and was known as “Vinie.” She was born February 27, 1875 and died October 10, 1963. They lived between the railroad tracks and Wakarusa River on Main Street. Their children were Clarence John (born 1896), Myrtle Fay (born 1898), Ira Andrew (born 1900), Bonnie Jane (born 1903), Flossie Carrie (born 1904), Olive Eugene (born 1906), Rita Lillian (born 1909), Doris Christina (born 1912), Margaret Ann (born 1916), and Juanita Elizabeth (born 1922). Sources: 1880 U.S. Census, Douglas County, Kansas, Marriages 1894, and Descendants of Henry Lee Jarboe Jr. and Pearl Anna Haight at
http://www.jarboe.org/families. Mrs. Lewis Scott Knisely, of Tampa, Florida, also wrote about the Everley family in Everley-Williams-Erwin Families of Eudora, Kansas, a copy of which is at the Eudora Public Library
Born in Flatow, Marein Verder, West Prussia, May 23, 1827, Julius Fischer was the son of Jonah, Saxony native and brewer, who married Caroline Winkleman (died 1852) in Berlin, and built a brewery in Flatow. They had 12 children. Only a daughter and three sons survived to adulthood, including Cal Fischer (Lawrence, Kansas) and Heinrich Fischer (St. Louis). At age 14, Julius apprenticed to a cabinet maker; three years later he obtained work as a journeyman. In 1848, he enlisted in the Prussian army and served as a sharpshooter. Julius on "Oder" for six weeks arriving in New York City, August 24, 1856. After buying a ticket to Chicago, he had had 75 cents left. It took 10 days to arrive in Chicago by train. He found employment and then become a member of the "Kansas Town Company." "In April, 21 men started for Kansas and arriving in Douglas County laid out Eudora." He worked at the Eudora saw mill where they cut 200 acres of timber in a few years and also bought from loggers. After raising a volunteer militia for the Civil War, Julius was appointed as captain. In 1868, he built an ice house in Lawrence that he ran until he retired in 1893. The next year he bought a shoe business that his son, Otto, had started. "He is a staunch Democrat, and admirer of Bryan, a believer in the silver stance and the income tax, and an enemy to the trust and monopolies that have gained such power in our country," stated his biographical account. Fischer married Tekla Menger, born in Rudolphstadt, Saxony, daughter of Frederick Menger, who settled in Douglas County in 1857 and had other children, including Adolph, (real estate, Lawrence, Kansas); Ottonaur, Philadelphia); A.G. (shoe business, Lawrence); and Herman (shoe business in Lawrence with A.G.). Fischer children: Otto (married Agnes Jadiecke and had Enra and Elfreda); Ede; Carl; and Anna. Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Leavenworth, Douglas and Franklin Counties, Kansas: Containing Portraits, Biographies and Genealogies of Well Known Citizens of the Past and Present. Chapman Publishing Company, 1899. .
W.A. Fuller, a tinsmith,journeyed to Kansas about 1879 from Derby, Vermont, with Jim Ogden. They first came to Eudora, moved to Herington, and soon came back to Eudora. Fuller bought the hardware store owned by the Seybolds. When Fuller’s tinware, hardware, and implement business outgrew the building, he bought the Ziesenis property at 835 and 839 Main Street. He extended the building to the alley and sold farm implements, carts, buggies, and surries. When Fuller died in 1930, his wife, Agnes (McCrae), born in Bloomington, Illinois, on July 23, 1861, sold the store. Agnes had come to Eudora in June 1884 and married Fuller on Christmas of that year. She was an organizer of the Eudora Methodist Church, president of Ladies Aid, Sunday school superintendent, and life member of the Degree of Honor A.O.U.W. The Fullers had two children, Lillian and Mary. In her last two years of high school, Mary attended school in Lawrence because she was the only one in her Eudora grade. After graduating in 1907, she went to Baker University two years, one year at Kansas University, and then got her teacher’s certificate from Emporia State College. Mary taught at Hesper (5th and 6th grades), and Farmland School. She was paid $67.50 for teaching each month; the principal, Mr. Kelly, was paid $75. In the spring of 1917, she married John Moody, a farmer. They lived northeast of Beni-Israel Cemetery on N. 1300 Road. Allen Ott later bought their farm. Source: Mary Moody in “Biographical Sketches,” prepared by Lauretta Trabant in Eudora Community Heritage (1977)
Copyright 2010. Cindy Higgins. Where the Wakarusa Meets the Kaw: A History of Eudora, Kansas. Eudora, KS: Author.