Stephen Schehrer, his wife, Elizabeth, (born June 26, 1841), and son, Wendelin, came to the United States from Alsace Lorraine (Mackenheim, Elsas, according to Stephen’s obituary) in 1862, two years after they married, and to Eudora in 1865. They settled on a farm six and one half miles south of Eudora. They had four more children: Joseph (married Walburga and built a two-story, 8-room house five and one-half miles south of Eudora that burned down in 1911 and was rebuilt by Frank Sommer); Stephen; Mary (married Lorenz Speicher, born 1858 in Hartheim, Baden, Germany, and came to America in 1882, settling five miles south of Eudora); and Caroline (married Joseph Eder). Wendelin met his wife Barbara (Ernst), after she came to the United States from Alsace with her brother, Emil, in 1884. Barbara stayed with her aunt, Wilhelmina Brecheisen, who lived on a farm a mile north of Clearfield. Her aunt arranged for her to get a ride to Holy Family Catholic Church with the neighboring Schehrer family, and Barbara and Wendelin married not long after. After they married, four of the children of Steven and Elizabeth lived within one or two miles of their parents’ farm. When Stephen Jr. bought the farm in 1902, the elder Schehrers moved to 931 Church Street. Each Sunday, before Holy Family Church services, the five Schehrer children and their families congregated at their parents’ home. All the hitching posts in the front of the house and in the alley filled with teams of horses, carriages, and buggies. Stephen (who died August 23, 1917), Elizabeth, and their children all are buried in Holy Family Cemetery. Bill Schehrer, the husband of “Freddie,” and his brother, Charles Schehrer, owned a gas station at 835 Main Street for more than 30 years. Their sister, Emma, married Bill Mercier, a long-time Kaw Valley bank employee. Sources: Schehrer Family in “Biographical Sketches,” prepared by Lauretta Trabant in Eudora Community Heritage (1977); obituary of Elizabeth Schehrer (January 12, 1928); and Patty (Nusbaum) McGivern, god-daughter of Bill Mercier.
Christian C. Schneider Sr. (about 1809-1890) was born in Switzerland. He immigrated in 1851 to Ohio and later come to Eudora where he died and buried in the Eudora Cemetery. He married Anna Winply (1811-1884) in Switzerland, probably Interlaken in Bern. All of their children except Peter, their last, was born in Switzerland: Christian, Anna, John, Joseph, Emmanuel, Elizabeth, Magdaline, and Gottfried. Joseph, Elizabeth, and Emmanuel used “Snyder” as their last name.Source: Ancestors of Thomas Edward Snyder by Tom Snyder on Ancestry.com
Franciska Blochl (also spelled Ploechel) (born December, 1819 in Bischofsreut, Niederbayern, Germany) and Michael Schopper (born February 1817 in Hintereben, Niederbayern, Germany), pictured in this wedding photograph, came from Germany to Eudora. They had Fraziska known as “Frances,” Mary Ann, two sets of twin girls who died in infancy, and Joseph. Born April 17, 1860, in Passau, Grunest, Germany, Joseph married Mary Theresa (Seiwald), (born March 24, 1863) and they lived in Clearfield. They had 10 children, nine of them delivered by Joseph. These children were Joseph Paul, Frank Philip, Michael George, Mary Ann, John , Frances Catherine, Albert Louis, Emma Thekla, William Henry, and Margaret “Katie” Catherine. Sometime between 1900 and 1903, they moved to a farm home on the north side of Tenth Street by the Wakarusa River in Eudora. In newspapers of that time, Schopper ran this advertisement: “I am prepared to pay the highest price for raw furs, beef hides, and sheep pelts.” By 1911, Joseph also was a sales representative for Continental Lamp and Stoves, headquartered in Davenport, Iowa. Source: Family Tree by Gloria (Schopper) Lundy, Joan Lyndon Crewse, Frances Schopper, Mary Pat Crewse, Eudora New Weekly, and http://artmichaelis.com/MICHAELIS.wbg/wga19.html#1975
An early Eudora citizen, Charles Schroeder, born November 16, 1826, in Schwerening, Meikleburg, Germany, came to the United States in 1854. In 1874, he married Christine (Carabel), born in Hessen Dam Stadt, Germany, on February 8, 1848, in Chicago. German Methodists, they had nine children, including: Carrie (Devlin), Mary (Straub), Kate (Hoffman), Charles, Lottie (Erwin), Adolph, William, and George. Source: Charles Schroeder’s obituary (1900) and Christine Schroeder’s obituary (1907).
Johann William Schubert (April 15, 1843-March 22, 1920) married Lydia Ann Breithaupt, born September 16, 1855 in Freeport, Illinois, on August 8 (or September 9), 1879. Known as “William” or “Will,” Schubert, 36, appeared in the 1880 U. S. Census as “John W. Shuberth” a laborer from Bavaria who lived with his wife and Bavarian cousin, Elizabeth Fischer, a dressmaker. They bought a stock of goods from Christian Fischer in 1881 and set up a business that would expand into furniture, barbering, and undertaking. With their children George (who owned a general store in Eudora for many years), Carl who was a barber and undertaker like his father), Henrietta (in banking for more than 50 years with Kaw Valley State Bank), Edwin (a sales man and took over furniture store in 1917), Alma (Hughes), and Paul (a barber), they lived above their Main Street business. Will died in 1920. A few days later, Lydia was hit by a car while going to church and her sustained injuries and “dropsy” led to her demise in 1924. Source: 1880 U.S. Census; news items; Oct. 22, 1967 letter by Henrietta Schubert; and Lydia (Breithaupt) Schubert’s obituary (April 17, 1924)
Jacob Schurle (1829-1896) married Wilhelmine “Minnie” (Strobel) (1843-1919). They came from an area by Stuttgart in Wurtemberg, Germany. Their children were Sophia Esther, Jake, Christian, and John. Sophia married Fred Koch (born November 14, 1858) in 1882. Two Koch children died as infants; the others were Hattie (Repstein), Gus, Jane (Jackson), Fred, and Rose (Mayhew). Source: Eisele Family and Hornberger Family by Clifford Eisele (March 1, 1977)
The son of Charles Schwartz and Barbara (Haas), William Frederick Schwarz born in 1870 married Louise Young, daughter of Michael Young and Katherine (Englehardt). They lived in Worden with their six children: Frieda, Carl, Albert, Walter, Erna, and Dorothea. Their oldest daughter, Frieda, married William Adolph Reetz in 1919, and they had five children (Katherine, Lila, Alvin, Elmer, and Lorene) who grew up in the Fall Leaf area. Fred Reetz, had come came to Fall Leaf in 1864 from Germany, via St. Joseph, Missouri, because his aunt lived there. Gottfried Reetz, Fall Leaf, married Lena Tornedon in 1881. Source: Lorene (Reetz) Cox, who has written extensively about the Fall Leaf area and researched the genealogy of the Schwartz and Cox families
George Seitz married Margaret (Rohe), born in Obersebach, near Weisenberg, France, on February 27, 1847, in 1868. They came to the United States in 1871and moved to Eudora where they lived on a farm until 1900. After George’s death, Margaret, who was an invalid from rheumatism, lived with her daughter, Grace (Strobel) in Eudora. She also had another daughter and five sons. Source: Margaret Seitz’s obituary (June 28, 1928)
Joseph (born July 25, 1824) and Thekla (Stadelbauer) Seiwald came from Grainet, Bavaria, Germany, through Bremen on SS Atlantic to Warrenton, Missouri, which they left in 1864 for Eudora. On June 27, 1864, Joseph bought land in Eudora. In August of that same year, two sons of the couple drowned in the Kansas River. Another young son died soon after. At the time of Joseph’s death at age 51, his and Thekla’s children were: Joseph (who died in Germany); John Baptist;Frank; Mary Theresa (pictured to left with her husband, Joseph Schopper); Louis; George; and Michael. In 1904, Theckla Seiwald gave Louis Seiwald her farmstead and land. In return, stated the warranty deed, he was to let her live in the south part of the house and the land was not to be sold during her lifetime. She also expected one granary bin, one-fourth of the crops grown each year, and the feeding of her 40 hens, one cow and heifer. Louis also agreed to bring her fire wood and drive her to church each Sunday. Theckla, born January 7, 1829, died in 1905. Source: Barbara (Reid) Seiwald
The children of Bertha and John Seybold, married January 6, 1927, were George, John, Will, Henry, and Mrs. C.S. Owen. John Sr. had a tin shop and died from a fall from a roof he was tinning. Source: Bertha Seybold’s obituary (1927)
Born in Bern, Switzerland on June 22, 1847, Mary married Joseph Snyder, also born in Switzerland, on June 23, 1870. She had come to the United States at a young age to live in Indiana. The Snyders came to Eudora in the 1870s. At Mary’s death, her living children were Anna “Anita” (Reinisch), Ella West, Lillian, “Lilly”(Seip), Mayme (Zimmerman), Charles, and Sid, the only one who resided in Eudora. The family was of the Evangelical faith. The 1880 census also lists an Albert, two years younger than Ella, and Simeon, which may have been Sid. Source: Mary Snyder’s obituary (1911) and 1880 U.S. Census
From Reichnau, Bavaria, Kajetan (also spelled “Kayeton” and “Kayetan”) Sommer and his wife, Maria, known as “Mary,” arrived in Lawrence at noon and walked to Eudora before the night became dark on their first day in Eudora. They came to the United States in 1867 and lived at the corner of Church Street and Eleventh Street. He and his wife both died in 1903. Son Joseph, who married Mary (Koerner) died before his parents. Their surviving children were Anna (born 1863 and married Frank Blechel who managed the machinery department of Pilla Store for 20 years, according to family members); Theresa (born 1867 who married Mike Zillner); Mrs. Zoellner; Franz “Frank” (born 1875); and Kajetan Jr. (who lived in house on the southeast corner of Tenth Street and Church Street before “disappearing” one day in 1903, leaving his wife and children, and was never heard from again). Source: Barbara (Reid) Seiwald and Janet (Sommer) Campbell
Maximillan Sommer, born in Alsace, and his wife Caroline (Heiligenstein), 22 years younger, had a 111 ½ acre farm two ½ miles from Eudora and their children in the 1880 U.S. Census were Mary, Charles, Frank, Carolina, Lewis, John, and Lizzie. Tracy, their eldest, was listed in the 1870 census as having been born in “Atlantic,” which may refer to the Atlantic Ocean. “Max,” who had been ill for many years, died in January of 1885 and was buried in Eudora’s Catholic Cemetery. Son Charles married Mary Anna Ziesenis in 1898; the other son, John, married Mary’s sister, Anna Ziesenis. In 1904, both families moved to Niles, Oklahoma Territory. In 1916, John and Anna moved back to Eudora with their three children, Ethel, Edna, and Paul (a long-time member of the Eudora Area Historical Society). Edna married Clement Zillner and Ethel, an attendant for Dr. Johnson for several years, married George Jennings, a baker from Lawrence, in a double wedding ceremony at Holy Family Church. Paul married Christene (Selzer) and worked at the Eudora Department Store and for the Eudora Post Office. John Sommer’s home was at 1202 Birch Street. Source: Eudora News accounts, obituary notice of Maximillan Sommer (Die Germania )
William Spitzli, the son of Fred Spitzli and Margaretha (Messmer), came to the United States about 1870 from Switzerland. Spitzli was born at Cheney, Kansas, October 15, 1880 and died July 14, 1956, at Eudora at age 75 years and nine months. He was married December 17, 1913, to Ellen Eunice (Bryant). In 1914, William and Ellen moved from the Gutknecht farm on the Johnson County line east of Eudora to the “Hill” place in the Weaver Community (Northwest 1/4 of the Southeast 1/4 of Section 34 Township 12 Range 21). Two children were born at this home, Margaret (who married Harold Gabriel) and Delmar. In 1919, William sold the farm to Fred Laughlin, and the Spitzli family moved across the road east to the farm formerly occupied by George Broers and family. Three other children were born at this home: Verneta (who married Stanley Skwarlo of Shawnee, Kansas); Greta (who married M. N. Thomas of Shawnee, Kansas); and Barbara (who married Ronald Archer of Assaria). All the children attended Weaver School where William served as treasurer of the school board for fifteen years. The family members all were members of the United Methodist Church of Eudora. All the children were graduates of Eudora Rural High School. Spitzli raised potatoes and shipped them on A.T. and Santa Fe Railroad box cars. In later years, a truck garden provided watermelons, sweet corn, strawberries, and other produce for sale. Spitzli also worked a few years at the Sunflower Ordnance Plant near DeSoto. Delmar and Louis Spitzli took over the farm operations. Source: Margaret (Spitzli) Gabriel (March 1985)
Johann Stadler was born in Grainet, part of the Bavarian Forest , and was in Eudora by 1861 with his brother, Joseph Stadler, listed as a cooper in the 1860 U.S. Census. Both may have come because a Stadler uncle farmed in the area around 1855. Johann Stadler returned to Grainet in 1877 and died there two years later. While in Eudora, his daughter, Franziska, was born December 6, 1872, and his son, Johann, born in 1874. George John Stadler, the son of Joseph, was born July 18, 1842 in Bishofsreuth, Landgerich, Wolfstein, Nider Bayern, Germany, and came to the United States when he was 13. First, his family lived in New Jersey, then Philadelphia, Chicago, St. Louis, and Warrenton, Missouri. A Civil War veteran, George drove supply wagons from Fort Scott to Leavenworth for two years. He married Louisa Basemann, a daughter of one of the original town settlers on September 20, 1870. They had 10 children, four died in infancy. Their son William, born February 5, 1873, was the editor of the Eudora News. The family, which also included George Jr., Frank, John, Emma, and Kate, lived at 719 Birch Street in a brick home. Except for three years in Kansas City, George lived in Eudora. He operated the brick kiln and laid brick in Eudora until he retired at age 70. He made most of the brick for the homes and buildings in Eudora. He also was a city councilman. As city marshal, he was shot in the knee by John Leger in Gufler’s saloon and received several knife wounds while trying to arrest a drunken gang from Leavenworth County. The bullet was never extracted. Leger escaped into the heavy timber of Leavenworth County and was killed by a U.S. marshal several days later when he resisted arrest. George died May 31, 1905, and was the last Civil War veteran to die in Eudora. Louise died March 10, 1927. Source: Will Stadler, Eudora Community Heritage (1977); various Eudora Weekly News' Reinhard Hofer in 2001 letter to Barbara (Reid) Seiwald; and “From the Bavarian Forest of Kansas on the Trail of the ‘American Franz,’” by Reinhard Hofer on http://www.emigration~research.de.vu/.
Born in Buchanan County, Missouri, August 12, 1841, the son of Joseph Stanley and Lydia (Vilderbach), Sino Stanley came to Kansas in 1857. He first settled in Doniphan County . There he enlisted August, 1861, in Company A, Seventh Regiment Kansas Cavalry, and was discharged October 5, 1865. He married Rebecca Eaton, widow of Alvin C. Eaton, the daughter of Isaac Blond and Mary (Sanderson) in Leavenworth May 29, 1876. Their children were Ella Eaton (born December 22, 1864); Harry Eaton (born January 26, 1867); and Florence M. (born February 24, 1877). Rebecca, a native of Ohio, owned 141 acres of rich bottom land in Section 36 and was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Another Stanley family was that of Harvey and Dorinda (Whicker) from Indiana. They moved to this area in the spring of 1869. Samuel, their son, married Georgiana Rogers, daughter of George and Laura (Mendenhall) Rogers in 1881. Their children were Roger, Raymond, Laura (Klopfenstein), and Georgiana (Dollnig). Source: History of the State of Kansas (1883) by William Cutler and Samuel Stanley’s obituary (July 10, 1924).
Christena Madgelener (Bederman), daughter of John Jacob Bederman, a vine gardener, and Christena Katherne (Schwindragheim), was born February 24, 1833 in Under Tuerkheim, Germany. She and her father came to Herman , Missouri, from Wittenburg (or Wurtmeberg), Germany, on a sailboat in the early 1850s. The journey took three months. She married Jacob Strobel on February 8, 1851 in Herman , Missouri , and they moved to Union, Missouri, in 1857. The next year they moved to Kansas. They came by boat to Leavenworth, then by ox team and wagon to their farm four miles east of Eudora north of the Evening Star school. Said Sarah (Neis) Abel about her grandparents’ farm: “In those days, no one had a lot of money but all helped one another. My mother told me the barn burned down and the neighbors came, brought their hammers, saws and nails and shared what they had in lumber and built another barn. We would walk miles to visit neighbors.” All 12 Strobel children attended the Evening Star school: Caroline (married Mickel Rohe and then Adam Glasier or Glaser and moved to Oklahoma), Pauline (married Martin Rohe and lived in Clearfield), Nannie (married William Selzer in Clearfield and lived in Clearfield), Minnie (married Fred Neis), Louise (married Dan Reber and lived in Eudora), Sophia (married Charles Kurtz and lived in Eudora), Jacob (married Grace Seitz and lived in Eudora), Clara (married Charles Harbour and lived in Sibleyville), Julia (married Nickolas Weil and lived in Carbondale), Sam (married Emma Kurtz and moved to Heuber Springs, Arkansas, then moved back to Eudora), and Sarah (married a Mr. Reedy and/or Mr. Potter and moved to Lawrence). Evangelical meetings as early as 1869 were held by Jacob and Christena, some of the founders of the Salem Evangelical Association. When the original part of Salem Evangelical Church was built in 1870, Jacob and daughters, Caroline and Pauline, carried water from the Wakarusa River, the nearest water supply, to the construction site so mortar could be mixed for bricks. When Jacob died at the age of 54 on May 27, 1881, Christena stayed on the farm and then lived with her children. She died August 21, 1900 at the home of Nanny. Both Jacob and Christena are buried in the Eudora Cemetery. The Strobels had their first family reunion September 4, 1927 with 142 relatives attending. The last reunion was August 31, 1941. Source: Sarah (Neis) Abel and The Strobel Family in “Biographical Sketches,” prepared by Lauretta Trabant in Eudora Community Heritage (1977); Eudora Weekly News (July 22, 1924), obituary of Christena Strobel (September 15, 1927)
The Summerfield family immigrated to America in 1850 from what is modern-day Poland before coming to Eudora in 1857. Abraham Summerfield, who was married to Hannah, held a partnership in the mercantile firm of Summerfield & Jacobs, was on the city council, and was postmaster. They relocated to Lawrence in 1874 where Abraham died at age 59 in 1880. Elias, their son, served three years with the 24th Infantry ending in 1864 and later became the superintendent of the K.C.W. & N.W.R.R. (part of the Missouri Pacific railroad). His sister, Minnie, married a Jacobs and lived in Eudora, while his brother, Marcus, studied medicine at Belleview Medical College in New York before joining his parents in Lawrence with his bride, Sara. Their son, Solon, amassed a large fortune from hosiery sales and had a building at the University of Kansas named after him because of his scholarship donations. Pawnee County [Nebraska] History site (2008) at http://www.pawneecountyhistory.com/yesteryear/smfld3.html; Prodical Sun, New York (January 29, 1919.)
Copyright 2013. Cindy Higgins. Where the Wakarusa Meets the Kaw: A History of Eudora, Kansas. Eudora, KS: Author.