The History of Eudora, Kansas
The History of Eudora, Kansas
In 2020, Modern Manufacturing, which makes light systems used at crossings and steel storage for rail electronic equipment, purchased 18 acres and a 50,000-square-foot vacant industrial building in the Intech Business Park. The Canadian company said it would invest about $8.3 million to purchase, renovate and equip the building, the former Sac’s distribution center at 1202 Cardinal Drive.
Steve Splichal, Eudora school superintendent, resigned after seven years to take a job opportunity in Wyoming. The year was dominated by the Covid-19 pandemic that resulted in the closing of the library, schools to operate remotely, and businesses requiring customers to wear facial masks.
Curbs and gutters were replaced along Church Street from 10th Street North to Ninth Street. Owner GW Weld was awarded a $250,000 Community Development Block Grant from the state of Kansas for the renovation of the 714 Main Street building.
On Jan. 1, 2021, Consolidated Fire District No. 1 became an official agency serving the unincorporated areas of Douglas County and unified five rural fire departments (Townships of Wakarusa, Clinton, Kanwaka, Eudora and Lecompton Fire District 1) and one EMS first response agency (Clarion Springs EMS). The pandemic continued to impact Eudora in 2021 as did the Nottingham Center construction. The Eudora City Commission purchased land for new water treatment plant at 2216 N. 1420 Road. Slaughterhouse Print Solutions and Courtney Gebauer's Eudorable Home decor store opened in downtown Eudora. The Kansas Department of Transportation awarded Eudora $1.1 million to build a new sidewalk to run along 10th Street, beginning at Church Street and ending at Peach Street to connect to the elementary school.
Kansas Heavy Construction, LLC, of Shawnee began the $1.8 million sidewalk expansion and improved stormwater infrastructure in 2022. That year Flint Commerce Center began construction east of Eudora. Japan’s Panasonic Corporation announced its $4 billion dollar factory on 300 acres of the former Sunflower Ammunition Plant to produce electric vehicle batteries for Tesla and other carmakers and received $829 million in taxpayer-funded incentives. Voters rejected construction of a new library; fire seriously damaged the former Eudora United Methodist Church at 703 Church Street; and Olivia Pacheco, 800 Main Salon, added manicures and other services to the hair salon space.
A project that began in downtown Eudora in 2020 and then received a $50,000 grant fund, a one-acre of land donated by Stephanie Jones and Nolan Jones at 545 West 20th Street; a 3,000 square foot greenhouse donated by Pam Staab; and other donations, the Giving Garden became the site of numerous educational events and community volunteer hub with most of its produce given to the Eudora Food Pantry and the two senior care facilities in Eudora.
Residential properties that rent on a short-term basis, even one night, began being listed in and around Eudora with prices ranging from $100-$450 a night in 2023. The city received a $21 million federal grant that will convert the current two-lane road to a three-lane road from 20th Street to 28th Street and add a new path along Church Street corridor. The former public safety building, 840 Main St., was sold for $150,000 to be a media production facility. Mark and Stacie Blubaugh opened Main St Scoops and Sweets February in remodeled space at 714 Main. Daughter Brooke bakes custom orders of cakes, cookies and cupcakes for the ice cream parlor. Fuse Candle Bar, 714 Main, opened in May selling homemade candles and gift items. Owners Emily and Mike Young also offered candle-making classes. Julie Skinner’s JSWellness, 101 W 10th St Ste A E, began hormone replacement therapy, medication assisted weight loss, botox, dermal filler, microneedling, and IV hydration. Scooter’s Coffee, a 778-chain company that started in 1998, launched its 664 square-foot building with a drive-thru window, 1427 Church, for coffee and other drink products in November.